What Is Natural Childbirth?
The term “natural birth” used to signify that a woman’s preference was for a vaginal delivery versus cesarean section. Today, this phrase is used to indicate the desire for a drug-free labor and delivery. This means no labor-inducing medication and no pain medication.
In the event of birth complications, medical intervention is available. Safety is a priority for birthing centers and healthcare providers who assist with natural childbirth.
Natural Childbirth Advantages
There are several advantages to be found in the natural birthing process.
- Some experts believe that the drug-free birthing process is a healthier option. Drugs that are administered to the laboring mother pass to the fetus through the umbilical cord.
- Natural birth increases a woman’s awareness of her own body and her intuitive birthing instincts.
- Mothers who give birth naturally tend to have a significant sense of empowerment and accomplishment stemming from this life event.
- Both partners take an active role in the delivery process.
- In many cases, skin-to-skin contact may take place immediately. Studies suggest that immediate skin-to-skin contact can increase the ease of breastfeeding.
Natural Childbirth Pain Management
Pain-relieving techniques during natural childbirth include:
- Breathing Techniques
When Is Natural Birth Not an Option?
Natural childbirth may not be appropriate for every situation or every woman. Contraindications include:
- Multiple babies
- Low pain tolerance
- Preterm labor
- Pregnancy complications: preeclampsia, gestational diabetes, or obesity
- Breech fetal position
- Mother is a carrier of group B strep (testing is performed at week 36).
Why Should I Consider a Doula or Midwife?
There are numerous benefits to hiring a midwife or doula to assist with natural childbirth. The relationship between an expectant mother and her birth coach begins early in pregnancy and continues after birth to include newborn care and breastfeeding assistance. Discussions with your Grace provider about your labor team is an important aspect of your pregnancy and delivery experience.
Benefits of a doula or midwife coach
- Less likelihood of the need for pain medication.
- Lower chance of needing an epidural or a c-section.
- More likely to have positive feelings about childbirth
- Greater success with breastfeeding
Where Can I Have a Natural Birth?
We recommend you keep in mind the level of support you want during your delivery when making this decision. A woman may choose to have a natural birth in various types of settings. It is important to remember that every birth progresses in its own way.
Can I Have a Natural Birth in the Hospital?
The hospital may be a good choice for the woman who senses she may feel more secure with a larger assortment of interventions. Hospital births may be more appropriate for multiple births and high-risk pregnancies. Many hospitals have designed birthing rooms to resemble a home-like environment.
Schedule a Consultation
Natural childbirth is a unique and beautiful experience and at Grace Obstetrics & Gynecology we want to ensure you receive the best care to help you through this process. For any questions about Natural childbirth or if you are interested in a VBAC delivery. Contact our office at (817)776-4722. Our practice serves Forth Worth, Cleburne, Granbury, Willow Park, Dallas and surrounding areas in Texas.